PDA

View Full Version : Guys I am sorry!

fishinmind
02-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I was showing you my C. foai NOT my A.dewindti.
He is suppost to be a mbete. I guess I did not make it clear. I am wondering if he is a Karilani. Here ia few recent pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fishinmind/100_0597.jpg[/img]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/fishinmind/100_0591.jpg
If not what is he? I have a colony of 5 - 2m/3f
And 8 fry with egg sacs.

riftlaker
02-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Nice featherfins!!!

Led
02-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Really nice! :)

bobrfish
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Wonderful male, I do not think he is Karilani. He does not look like my males.

tanganyikanhunt
02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Those are young C. Foai Mbete definitely. Just let them grow. Oh, you may find that females come into condition when you spoil them with either baby brine shrimp or frozen mysis. And when you do watch how excited your males become. I have had my colony for about 2 years and am currently growing out the next generation.

See the purple sheen in the second picture? That is going to go electric when he starts the light show. There will be bright blue through the dorsal and tail and into the ventrals. And that faint yellow around his lower jaw will glow lemon yellow.

Congradulations again. Now you will know why I will get up early and open the blinds on my front window to 'let the sunshine in'.

Amazing!

ps. Are you tumbling the fry? I use a water tumbler that I have found far superior to the bubbler types. But if you can try letting them hold. My current fry were by mouth.

DragonGT83
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I've never heard of a water tumbler, how does one of these work?

i've been seeing some really nice featherfins lately, makes me dream for a big tank for em. very nice fish you have.

fishinmind
02-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the codos. I was wondering if snyone knows where I can get instructions how to make the water powered egg tumblers because I have tried the air powered one and I lost 32 eggs last week. The eggs either fungus up or get blasted to the top screen. I have stripped one of my females and have been able to tumble babies fairly well. Any help would be appreciated.

Led
02-12-2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquainfo/egg_tumbler.html

Thought it was a water tumbler at first. He just uses pieces off a waterer.

fishinmind
02-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks anyhow.

tanganyikanhunt
02-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Gotta have:

At least a ten gallon tank
Heater
Pilsner glass (beer glass)
Power head
clear vinyl tubing
air valves
pvc 3/4" tubing
4 caps for pvc
2 90 degree elbows pvc
2 90 degree three way tees
pvc sleeve (to join the two sides)
T three way
1 90 degree elbow with thread inside
1 reducer from pvc to 3/8" tubing
some airline tubing cut according to need
piece of hard tubing to fit inside airline

Ok, find a tank to use and cut the tubing so that you will have four upright legs sitting inside. The two towards the back get the 90 ells on top. Then you will have two pvc tubes running from the back legs to the front legs. In those you will drill and silicone in the airline valves. I used 4, two in each length.

In the connection between the two long tubes you will cut pvc to fit inside the pvc connecting the whole thing together. Now in the piece that connects both halfs you will need a t joint with a piece coming down to a 90 degree elbow with thread inside. Then connect the reducer for the tubling.

Get some tubing and connect to the power head. When it is running you will be able to vary the pressure coming out in the glass by the valves. On the airline, about the last inch, insert the hard piece of airline tubing.

Use water from the tank they spawned in so that all parameters are the same.

I strip my females into a glass bowl filled with tank water. I then transfer the eggs to the pilsner glass and insert the tubing from the valve inside the glass. Watch to make sure they are gently tumbling not thrashing around.

Good luck! If any one has questions just ask.

tanganyikanhunt
02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
hopefully these will help

[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5555/tumbler0027pw.jpg

http://img481.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tumbler0016iu.jpg

fishinmind
02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks I was just getting ready to visualize your contraption. lol. I will look at this carefully. Where did this idea come from?

tanganyikanhunt
02-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I have a friend who is hugely into this hobby for the last 25 years.

I have another picture showing the entire thing but it won't upload

Silversurfer
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
I would indeed like to see more of this contraption! Perhaps a post on DIY thread with photo's for us plz? :)

Looks like something fun to build!

tanganyikanhunt
02-23-2006, 12:41 AM
When and if I get invited to do so. I have had other board moderators on other boards become anorexic over my volunteering information. It puts them out of control and makes people wonder how much they know. I sure hope that's not the case here.

fishinmind
02-23-2006, 03:39 AM
I am like a sponge for info and these moderators are great! I doubt they care and probably enjoy quality info from time to time on DIY and rare breds. Thank you for the info you have shared with me.

Rinko
02-23-2006, 09:09 AM
If you've got info that could benefit anyone else, then please share it. That's one of the main purposes of this Forum; to share & provide useful information.

tanganyikanhunt
02-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks Rinko, I will post the instructions again and maybe get that second picture to load.