PDA

View Full Version : My first Front spawn

furcifer
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
After a year of growing out my Ikolas I have the first spawn. I dont know if she will hold or not. I want to strip and bubble them. How long before I strip. I know full term for them is 21 days. What would be the earliest I could take them?
I have some tembwe congo coming. They look like a moba but a little more purple. But not Kitumba purple. I am excited about them.

Led
04-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Congrats, sounds like you are getting back into the Africans a bit more again. :) Nothing wrong with that. :) Good luck with the eggs.

Rinko
04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Congrats Trent! :D

mbovinet
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Strip her on day 5. Don't feed the tank until then.

bobrfish
04-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Congrats Trent. I like fronts will brood for 28-30 days if left to themselves. The number of eggs/fry falls the longer she broods.

furcifer
04-30-2006, 12:10 AM
thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it. I have been slowly moving back into Africans. I have been bringing in a lot of big haps. They have my attention for right now.
So keep an eye out I might be selling my Rotekil and some other SAs.

Strip at day 5?? Is there a reason for that number? Just curious. I cannot go five days without feeding the tank. The colony is it along with some new haps.

Siemens2
04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Do not feed the tank, or only in small amounts when she is not around where you are feeding. Don't tempt her to spit. You could strip now, but a lot wait til day five, but I don't know why.

Led
04-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I heard once the risk of fungus goes down after 5 days. I didn't delve into it because I am just not a front person. Beautiful fish, but I just have not been that interested in keeping them. Maybe it is just because I can't bring myself to devote a large tank almost solely to them. No idea. :)

mbovinet
04-30-2006, 09:30 AM
I just had 2 females that I stripped at day 5. Both first timers. I now have 27 little ones swimming around. You need to fast the tank for 5 days. If you don't you may cause her to spit and eat. Then the rest of the egg snatchers would get a treat. Do you have a tumbler? If not you will need to get some. I would buy at least 2. Good luck

furcifer
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM
I have 7 tumblers so that is not a problem. I have tumbled a lot of eggs just not fronts. I will strip at 5 days and let you know how it goes.

Jason
04-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Congats.

hazard
05-01-2006, 06:37 AM
When I strip mbuna or peacocks it is usually after 2 weeks but when I had tropheus the fry were not that developed after 2 weeks. I would say full term is closer to 4 weeks.

The first time I had a bemba spawn she crushed the eggs after I fed the tank trying to get food. Everytime she crushed an egg there was a cloud of egg coming thru her gills.

It is hit or miss on whether she will hold the first few time. Stripping these fish can be a pain since there mouth is almost underneath there head. I use the tip of a cable tie to open the females mouth.

goodluck with the ikola. Very cool varient
Chris