PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon stocking suggestions?????

herefishyfishy
01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a 55 gallon that i have cleared out. I am mostly interested in haps. I have kept mbuna in the past but they just dont do it for me anymore. Since a badly wanted 125 gal is not in the near future, i am looking for a long term setup. The venustus's grab my attention. Anyone have any experience with them in a 55 even though it is rather small for them? I enjoy breeding so a good combo or species tank is what i have in mind. If anyone has any suggestions, or experience with a similar setup, they would be very appreciated. Thanks.

- Jake

davidhusker
01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
hey jake. I would stay away from Venustus in a 55 gallon if you are wanting breeding and long term. I would say there are only a handful that would be "not good" to have in that 55 and they are one of them.

If I were just getting into some haps, and had a 55 gallon, I would definately do this... although im a little partial to t.reef because they are one of my favorites. They are not very hard to get, but still not some readily avaliable fish from a store.

2m/4f Taiwan Reefs
2m Albino Taiwan Reefs

you would have 4 males and 4 females. Not the greatest split for breeding, but this way you could have breeding (either straight up taiwan reef or mixed gene albino/straight taiwan reefs) as well as some good color variants. The fish at adult age will get up to 5-6" but nowhere near the 10" of a venustus, and 8 fish would be fine. After a couple years and the fish do get to their potential 6", you would have to probably move up tank size to a 75 gallon, or get the ratio down to around 2m/3f or so. You have to steer clear of mixing groups in this tank if you want some baby fish, so there is no hybrids going on.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1235

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1358

if you have any ideas throw them out here id be glad to give my 2 cents or help!