PDA

View Full Version : SW Iowa water...

cbzoo
05-03-2008, 05:58 AM
I am working on a large industrial development project over here in Council Bluffs that I can not mention by name as I have signed a non-disclosure agreement not to mention who I am working for...
Anyway this site has lots of water cooling systems and lots of carbon steel pipe.. Which to make a long story short needs water testing to allow for chmicals to be added to minimize corrosion of the pipes.. So in walks a guy with ALL sorts of water testing equipment... Being a fish-Aholic who is trying to spawn Discus I am curious about the water quality here in glorious C.B. When he is testing the make up water I stroll over and begin to ask him questions.... Most of his tests are for thing like TDS and PH among others... I ask him what is the PH of the makeup water... His reply is straight from the tap with his calibrated PH probes.. wait for it....... For the last 2 months the ph of the CITY WATER has been reading a constant.......... Wait for it........

9.4!!!

Man I can not belive it!!! PH reading of tap water 9.4!!! had anybody ever heard of a PH this high in drinking water?????
So I ran home and got out my High range PH test... realizing that reading colors is much less accurate than the PH probe he was using..... and the test Pegged my High range PH test!!!!! at 8.8

Another question that I have is there a HIGHER than High range test availible?
Soooo Just for grins I decide to test the water for Ammonia.... and I get a result in between 1.0 and 2.0 PPM!!!! What is the City of Council Blufff trying to do kill my fish?????? ARGHHHHH

I hope that this Ammonia test is a false reading but I am begining to think it is not!!!!
So I went out and got me a trash can and an extra heater and a pond pump and set up an ageing barrel... so after around 12 houres of agitation I now have a reading of 7.8 PH and Ammonia of .25 which is what the tap water tested out last December when I last tested my Tap water....
Moral of the story is in spring time test you tap water to make sure the water department is not bumping up the chemicals in the water to clean out the pipes!!!!!
I am not sure how long this will last but untill I see a decrease in the PH and Ammonia levels I guess I will be ageing my water....
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EddieZachary
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought my coffee tasted different this past week...

Diamond Discus
05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I thought my coffee tasted different this past week...Probably tasted reminiscent of fish pee.....lol

EddieZachary
05-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Nice, I am sure it will now... even if it doesn't. :D

Cavy2
05-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I lost a beautiful Tropheus that I had for 10 years after a water change in Omaha, since then I always age, heat and dechlorinate my water for at least 24 hrs.,

Killaclone
05-03-2008, 02:50 PM
yeah its high ph....also the chlorine level in CB is greater than 3.5. ill do a ammonia reading of the tap water this week at work....its a digital test that breaks it down in two forms. You have the TAN test which i forgot what it stands for then you have the UIA which is the harmful ammonia i think it stands for unidozied ammonia levels. Ill report my findings wednesday night

EddieZachary
05-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I have never used aged water before. I just use Erase-CL with every water change. Should I be considering investing in a large plastic garbage can too? My africns seem pretty hardy but I would hate to lose any of them.

mofunnyfarm
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I am working on a large industrial development project over here in Council Bluffs that I can not mention by name as I have signed a non-disclosure agreement not to mention who I am working for...
Anyway this site has lots of water cooling systems and lots of carbon steel pipe.. Which to make a long story short needs water testing to allow for chmicals to be added to minimize corrosion of the pipes.. So in walks a guy with ALL sorts of water testing equipment... Being a fish-Aholic who is trying to spawn Discus I am curious about the water quality here in glorious C.B. When he is testing the make up water I stroll over and begin to ask him questions.... Most of his tests are for thing like TDS and PH among others... I ask him what is the PH of the makeup water... His reply is straight from the tap with his calibrated PH probes.. wait for it....... For the last 2 months the ph of the CITY WATER has been reading a constant.......... Wait for it........

9.4!!!

Man I can not belive it!!! PH reading of tap water 9.4!!! had anybody ever heard of a PH this high in drinking water?????
So I ran home and got out my High range PH test... realizing that reading colors is much less accurate than the PH probe he was using..... and the test Pegged my High range PH test!!!!! at 8.8

Another question that I have is there a HIGHER than High range test availible?
Soooo Just for grins I decide to test the water for Ammonia.... and I get a result in between 1.0 and 2.0 PPM!!!! What is the City of Council Blufff trying to do kill my fish?????? ARGHHHHH

I hope that this Ammonia test is a false reading but I am begining to think it is not!!!!
So I went out and got me a trash can and an extra heater and a pond pump and set up an ageing barrel... so after around 12 houres of agitation I now have a reading of 7.8 PH and Ammonia of .25 which is what the tap water tested out last December when I last tested my Tap water....
Moral of the story is in spring time test you tap water to make sure the water department is not bumping up the chemicals in the water to clean out the pipes!!!!!
I am not sure how long this will last but untill I see a decrease in the PH and Ammonia levels I guess I will be ageing my water....
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
City water in the midwest. High ph is normal but the hardness is what you are concerned with. The ph will level off in your tanks after a few days.
Your ammonia test kit is most likely correct.
A lot of folks have been having ammonia spikes in their water. Winter ,Spring and dry weather may bring added chorine and cholamine to your water. People around here have gone to aging their treated water, with some doubling the amount of water conditioner. I have been fortunate that our water comes from deep wells and our water came out 4th in a national water tasting contest. We are blessed with excellent water. Check to see if your water dept has a web site. When I got back in the hobby I didn't realize that our water dept put chloramine in the water. I kept losing my cory's . When I checked with the water dept. that was one of the new to me ingredients in the water. Our water dept actually issued a warning one time about the extra chorine and choramine in our water. If you want to get sick try this. Take a hose at least 10 feet long and fill it with water and let it set for a couple days, then drain the hose into a bucket. Talk about an ammonia spike. It is pretty nasty.
I have actually quit testing my water. One of our fish stores has gone to adding sechem nutralizer and stabilizer to his tanks. He was losing Goldfish due to the high ammonia content of his water.
Sorry for the bad news.
Walter

Cavy2
05-04-2008, 07:23 AM
That's the reason I have a RO system for my drinking water. Regular water from my tap smells like Chlorox. If it's killing the fish, what's is doing to us?

Killaclone
05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Ok so here are my findings today at work.

8.7+ =PH= high levels raise concern of ammonia toxicity, defined as capacity of water to donate hydrogen ions.

109.44 ppm= Alkalinity= levels below 50 ppm means tank is crashing(old tank syndrome), capacity of water to accept hydrogen ions, direct counterpart of PH

3.5+= Chlorine

324.9 ppm= Hardness

0 =Salinity

.69 mg/l=TAN (Total Ammonia Nitrogen)

To figure out UIA (Un Ionized Ammonia) you take a number and multiply it by the TAN
-levels of .05mg/l or higher can cause stress, gill damage, increases chances of bacterial infections
-levels of 2.0 mg/l can hinder the ability of the fish to excrete ammonia leading to poisoning and death
I couldnt test this because we dont have a ph test high enough to calculate the UIA

.001 ppm Nitrite= greater than .05ppm must be addressed immediatly

Iowafisheries
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I always age my water in a trash can. The bad thing about a plastic trash can is eventually it will leak all of the water out on your floor. It is not a good idea to use a plastic trash can. Just tonite we have siliconed three trash cans hoping that silicone will fix our problem. I think all of the farmers chemicals they use in their fields is causing most of the water ion SW iowa to become contaminated. We check our water every water change. We use to do it once a week. Now we are changing it twice a week because of the plastic trash cans (14 of them) are starting to leak. Our tanks are in our basement. We have two many of them, currently 24. My basement is not that big. We have a good time with all of our baby fish. Around 200 to 225 of them so far. We just got started.

mofunnyfarm
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Pick up some 55 gallon plastic barrels and cut the top off. I use 3 of them in my fish room. You should be able to find them for about $10 ea.
Just make sure what was in them is water soluble. Tea concentrate and soda pop concentrates are shipped in them these days.
Walter

Cavy2
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Walter,
Where is a good place to pick up the barrels? I'm using trash cans right now, always concerned about leaks, been lucky so far.

Diamond Discus
08-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Cavy I use 44 gallon Brute Trash cans...they are heavy duty and I never worry about them breaking. I've had one of them for 4 years and it's as good as new. They have lids and you can buy a base with wheels for the bottom also.

Cavy2
08-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks Sue, I'll check that out.

mofunnyfarm
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Walter,
Where is a good place to pick up the barrels? I'm using trash cans right now, always concerned about leaks, been lucky so far.
We have a guy here that sells them. He has hundreds of barrels.
Check with soda pop and fountain drink distributers. I had a place called midwest syrup that I could get them. You will have to do a little investigating. If you see the coke or pepsi truck drivers, ask them. We used to get them from one of the lesser known distributers. My neighbor works at a place that has water soluble soap concentrate in plastic barrels.
There are places out there to get them. I have seen them for sale out in the country for use with livestock. They are using them for docks at the lakes too. I hope this gives you some ideas where to get them and you are being green by recycling them.
Walter

SandyC
08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I guess there is a good side to living in a small town. we went down and had a talk with the guy that treats the water for our town about 4 yrs ago, and ever sence he calls us every time they change the cemicals they use also when ever they are starting to flush the fire plugs. in a normal year they will only change chem. two times (spring & fall) but in years like this one we have already had 4 calls from them. when ever there is anything going on upstream(flood, spills...) they have to increase the amount of chems. they use. We have also noticed that when ever they start to flush the fire plugs we get alot more hard metals in our water.
The investment in water holding tanks was well spent, and I say investment because we knew we were going to have alot of tanks so we can now age 1000 gals of water at a time. We always age our water for at least 72 hrs.

Cavy2
08-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Sandy,
How do you age your water? I use a power head and heater, and usually age for 24hrs. Do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks,
Kathy

SandyC
08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Sandy,
How do you age your water? I use a power head and heater, and usually age for 24hrs. Do you have a better suggestion?
Thanks,
Kathy

your power head sould do just fine...we use a pump that we also use right now to pump water to the tanks but then again we are aging 400 and 200 gal tanks....we don't heat it cause we don't heat any of our tanks, just the room when needed.

Led
08-06-2008, 09:13 PM
The kH of water anywhere south of the Dakotas is HIGH too. Liquid rock basically. All the water from wells of any kind basically comes from the South Dakota aquifer. Hard water that was filtered through hundreds of feet of limestone.