PDA

View Full Version : questions about multis and petracolas

Brant
07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
im planning to get a group of one or the other to add to my tank. can anyone with experience with both tell me any behavioral differences? i have read that multis dont come out much when the lights are on, are petras out more during the day?
thanks,
brant

mbovinet
07-03-2009, 01:11 AM
I find it to be the other way around. I've got several of both and the Multis are out and about all the time. The Petros tend to be less active and hide much more

walleye
07-03-2009, 07:41 AM
syno multies and syno petros also like to be in schools. I've heard that single fish hide more often. Schools tend to come out more often. My multies are out cruising quite often. I have the dwarf petros, lucipinnis, they tend to stay in caves but do come out once in a while. try to get at least 6 to start. They are a fun fish to watch. Go to www.planetcatfish.com there is a lot of info on these guys there.

jsaunsnp
07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree with Mbovinet, I have had groups of both and the multis always seem to be more active during the day. The petros seem to stay in caves and under logs.

Brant
07-03-2009, 03:29 PM
ya 5-6 is what i was planning. thanks for the input all. think ill go with the multis. now its just a matter of getting some here lol :confused1:

mbovinet
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
What size of Multis are you hunting?

Brant
07-03-2009, 03:51 PM
hoping for 2 inches or bigger. all the ones i have found at local shops here though are like a inch if that

JSwan
03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I have both and I think its a horse a peice for me they are both active. My Multis tend to dart about chasing each other. My Petros tend to more grace fully cruise about. I have found the larger the group and tank the more you will see them. I would recomend groups of at least 6 or more and around a 75 gallon tank. Ive got 17 Petros in my 125 and they are always out. I also use subdued lighting on there tanks. I have kept them in bright tanks and they just tend to stick to the shadows then.

bbbthebest
03-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a hard time finding any unless there is food for them to eat or unless the petros are spawing witch they do a lot : )

Kanorin
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
I have 6 multis in a 125 gallon with pretty strong lighting - it doesn't bother them at all. Always out cruising and chasing each other. Definitely agree with recommendation of 6+. They are really fun to watch.

Floppygumboy
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Multis are awesome - dont have any now but used to have a few. They definately are interesting in groups. As for the lights - obviously syn. are nocturnal but they can get used to some light. Will depend on how much cover you have for them as well. I would bet low light or structure to make shadows etc would encourage them.

Led
05-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Multies will definitely come out with lights on. Especially when being fed. If they are happy with water quality and cover they can be out a lot.