PDA

View Full Version : Fish that won't eat

dansquez
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
What causes normally healthy fish to suddenly stop eating? I'm feeding my Discus a mixture of Bloodworms & Brineshrimp, Glassworms, Flake food, and Spirulina pellets, and one just doesn't seem interested in eating any of it????

brademan76
11-23-2009, 08:11 PM
They stop eating when they are sick.

cichlidomaha
11-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Discus need super great water Quality, Most Discus Hobbyist do water changes of around 50 -75% twice weekly .Some hobbyist do 50% daily . In addition to good water quality, Discus can be prone to internal parasites, which can be caused by diet. It is hard to tell why this happens, you sound like you are providing them a good balanced diet. I would not feed blood worms but once a week. I have heard other hobbyist having bad exp feeding blood worm too often, similar to what you have going on. Do not feed tubifex worm at all, and if you feed black worms be very careful also. Good Luck: I hope this info. is helpful.

Tom

dansquez
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
They stop eating when they are sick.

Okay, let me rephrase this..... If you're doing regular water changes on a 75 (with R.O. water), change filters at least once a month (Emperor 400 ), also have a sponge filter, siphon the "gunk" out with water changes, feed well, consistent water temperature, lights on a timer, no new fish in a loooooong time, Why would a fish get sick/stop eating?

cichlidomaha
11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
How often are you water changes & amount changed? and how many fish are in the tank. Do you have adequate filtration. I have kept discus before no more than 4-5 adults to a 75 gal tank. For discus I would recommend a water turn over ratio of at least 8 - 10 times a hour, for a 75 gallon tank you should be fitering the tank volume 10 times or more per hour, based on the filtering rate of your filter system.

cichlidomaha
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
If your tank is a 55 gal or bigger you are way underfiltering it with the emperor 400 and sponge filter. I would add an fx5 along with the emperor 400 and sponge filter, or you could have more problems.

dansquez
11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
The tank has been up & running for 8 months. There are 11 medium size Discus and some small Plecos. This is the first I've heard that one should only feed Bloodworms once a week. I rinse both the Bloodworms & Brineshrimp (Hikari & Omega One).

shooter50014
11-23-2009, 09:10 PM
there are some discus people on here I am sure can help you. Filtration might be a little light but I Highly doubt you will need a FX5. I would just add another $10 sponge than drop $200 on a FX5

dansquez
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
"I Highly doubt you will need a FX5. I would just add another $10 sponge than drop $200 on a FX5"

You're the second one who says just add another sponge Filter. I'll put one on each side and move the Emperor 400 to the middle of the tank.
Anyone else read that one shouldn't feed Bloodworms everyday?

mbovinet
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I agree, 1 sponge, emp 400 and an FX5 on a 75 gallon is a bit much. You don't want to plaster them up against the glass with all the flow in there

RAINMAN
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Is the discus in question etting harrassed by the others? If it is that could be the probem, maybe.

DarbX1605
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Leaving filtration issue aside.

2 culprits come to mind in my experience

Aggression

Sick

Have you introduced any new fish into that tank recently?

cichlidomaha
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
You did not state the size of the tank. That is why I recommend an FX5

For 11 Discus and some plecos. I still think that the Emperor 400 plus the one sponge filter is inadequat filtration. I would add another sponge filter perhaps a Med to large size. And if you ask others too many blood worms as well as too much brine shrimp is not good for most fish. You should feed a flake, pellet diet with shrimp and blood worms once or twice a week in small amounts as a treat.

Chris-Indy
12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
there are some discus people on here I am sure can help you. Filtration might be a little light but I Highly doubt you will need a FX5. I would just add another $10 sponge than drop $200 on a FX5

I wanna know where you can find an fx5 for $200 :biggrin1:

shooter50014
12-09-2009, 01:00 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAGEN-FLUVAL-G-FX5-AQUARIUM-CANISTER-FILTER-FREE-GIFT_W0QQitemZ400089764291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5d273551c3

kpotter2
12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Ok! first off good questions and some great answers. Here is what I live buy:
Fist questions I ask myself is?

1. Has anything been added? Anything?
2. I test my water. PH,Nitrites,Nitrates everything.

These are the two most biggest killers of Discus or in getting them stressed. When discus are stressed the get sick.

To answer your question about why a discus would just stop eating it is simple. lol

#1 reason is Stress
Causes: Water conditions(No tank is perfect and could crash)
Adding fish or anything new can stress a already weak fish. This can lead to other problems parasites and infections.

Can you put up a photo of the discus and your tank? I would say ether your tank has some water trouble or the discus has just been picked on. This causes stress and then Parasites and infections can follow.

How is the forehead of the discus? If its thin above the eyes then it has been sick for some time. This part of the fish can tell you a lot about your discus. A think meaty forehead is a very healthy discus. A skinny,sunken in forehead means something could be going wrong and it has been for some time.

from what you describe its your water and sometimes it will get to some fish before others. Check you tank water first and see what things are at. Also if you are using strait R/O then stop and add some tap water or R/O right from Kent marine.

Check to see what forehead looks like and watch the gill movement. If its really fast then there is some problems. Small discus seem to breath fast,but you will know what is too much. Look at others and see what theres are doing. Check the internet for the endless videos of discus on youtube and see what there's look like. But try to look a like size fish. Also clamped fins are a good sign of bad things.

When I first see some signs of things I always add 1 tbl spoon of un Iiodized Salt (Table salt Unionized or any salt with out additives in it) Per 10gals of water. When you do your water changes only add salt back in for the water that is taken out. try this for a while as long as nothing else is noticeably wrong with water. Salt will also help with Nitrite poisoning.

hope this helps out some.

Kyle