PDA

View Full Version : L010a Spawning Behavior?

Chowder
04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I have my fingers crossed!

My newly acquired L010a's
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=747
are exhibiting what appears to be spawning behavior!

The only verifiable male (fuzzy face) is hunkering down in a pvc pipe with what appears to be a gravid (or well fed) female. She keeps coming out & then going back in with him. No eggs yet - but they appear to be thinking about it.

I'll be watching them like a hawk & will snap some pics if and when there are eggs.

sandstone
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I will X my fingers also for you.. Let me know so I will know what to watch for in my L010A,,,spawn...

kerryteatsjr
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Good luck with those I have 7 3 male 4 female and they seem to spawn quite easily I keep my tank between 74 and 78 degrees heavily planted 2 powerheads. The only problem is the males are very partial to caviar. I have had a couple fry hatch out but they are very small and from what I have been told need to be started on microworms. I was also told that in order to produce them in any numbers the caves need to be pulled and aritficially hatch the eggs,unfortunately i have no room to do this at present so they get caviar on a regulsr basis.

Chowder
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh well...

They stopped hanging in the cave together. But hey - at least they seem to know what to do. Keeping an eye on them...

sandstone
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
next time Chowder,,,

dansquez
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM
We hatch all our Whiptails (Sturisoma Aureum) in a tumbler. It's really pretty easy. Just had 25 hatch today & transfered them into a "special" grow tank. This is our 7th hatch, all of them in a tumbler. The trick is to be able to get them to adult size, 5 weeks has been the longest for us. Think we've got it down now though. We've got 9 of the Red Lizards, doing about the same thing Chowder's are.