PDA

View Full Version : Wild Caught Fish

Rinko
07-06-2005, 09:17 PM
If you could have any type of wild-caught fish from Lake Tanganyika, what would it be?

Rinko
07-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I think that I would get some Lamprologus Callipterus. I read an article by Ad Konings in TFH about them & I thought they sounded very cool.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5544/lamcallipteruskipili104005ze.jpg

Enjoy the pic cause I had to pay Ad a $1 for it. :roll:
That's a Male on the left & a Female on the right. :shock: Is there something wrong with this picture?!? :lol:

bobrfish
07-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Neolamprologus callipterus is an interesting fish. I believe Ad said that if females would lose the shells then with time, they would approach the size of males. However, once again size is important in sexual and reproductive matters. Because shells are used to raise young, the smaller the female, the better.
Males hunt in packs and then litterally steal females in shells from other males to build a harem. Ad once showed a video of two males stealing from each other's harem of shells and females. The would pass each other with the stolen shell. Pretty funny.

Rinko
07-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I'd like to see that video. The article stated the Male will steal & horde as many shells as he possibly can. It's almost a sign of masculinity, if that is possible in fish. The more shells = more Females = more breeding = SUPER MASCULINE Male Lamp. Callipterus. :lol:

bobrfish
08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Petrochromis sp. Texas would be my wild caught

Jason
08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I'd pick a group of Enatiopus sp. Kilesa, or a colony of the Purple Fronts (I always forget the location :? ). Maybe a large colony of the OB Tropheus. Then, and only then, could I be considered cool. 8)

Kind of sad that they named an African fish after an American state. Doesn't make much sense to me. Did Dr. Konings do that? I know he really likes Texas.

Rinko
08-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Kind of sad that they named an African fish after an American state. Doesn't make much sense to me. Did Dr. Konings do that? I know he really likes Texas.

I believe it has to do with appearance. The fish resembles the American Texas Cichlid or Rio Grande Perch, Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum.

Led
08-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Ad lives in El Paso, Texas. But, the reason the Petro is named Texas is because the fish reminds people of the Texas cichlid. BobR could give you more info on this. :)

bobrfish
08-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Actually you guys are educating me. I never knew why the fish was called Texas. My guess was that Petrochromis are big and that Texas is big. After reading this i looked at Texas cichlid and can see the resemblence in color patterns.
That is why I want this fish, due to color pattern on lower face.

Rinko
08-02-2005, 10:10 PM
My guess was that Petrochromis are big and that Texas is big.

:lol: :lol:

Led
08-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Bob, you never noticed the facial resemblance?? Wow, I noticed something before Bob did!!! I impressed myself!! :happy10: :happy10:

Cich_Ness
08-04-2005, 08:21 PM
not knowing much about tangs i would pull the $$$ card here and say the rarest most expensive frontosa trio available.

Rinko
08-04-2005, 08:24 PM
not knowing much about tangs i would pull the $$$ card here and say the rarest most expensive frontosa trio available.

I'm not sure what kind that would be....I'm not much of a Frontosa/Gibberosa fanatic. Is that Moba? Ikola? :?

Jason
08-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the purple ones (Kitumba or Zaire Blue Violets). Honestly, I'm not that into Fronts, but I've heard of 1" fry selling between $30-$40 each.

Rinko
08-05-2005, 12:59 AM
I think you're right about the Zaire Blue Violets. I remember a guy trying to sell some at 2" $50/each. I thought that was crazy!

Led
08-05-2005, 07:25 AM
One of my friends in Denver has a bunch of different Fronts. He has the Moba which are one of the hottest around. He sells them for...price went down recently too....$23 at an inch. It was $25. They are really sweet fish though. Looks like you masked the fish and painted his stripes on they are so defined. They were the sweetest Fronts I have ever seen.

Jason
08-05-2005, 06:56 PM
You were probably just thinking that because... IT IS!!!

tanganyikanhunt
01-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I would want something I saw in the 80's which many people claim does not exist, RED tropheus kaisers. I saw this fish in a importer/friends tank years ago and briefly had them but a weird airborne virus at the time killed all of them.

I have heard that it is a variant from Kiriza which I don't think is collected and hasn't been for a long while. But to see males fired up is breathtaking!

So there's my wish list.

Led
01-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Almost nothing would shock me for variants of fish. I believe there are a lot of nice variants that we don't see....especially when talking Tropheus. :) The albinos you see though....manmade hybrids...well, I don't believe in them. But, red Kaizers would not shock me. They would be a nice fish. :)

bobrfish
01-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Check out Tropheus sp. black "Bemba", the common name for this fish is red kaiser, there are other common names as well such as orange flame
http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/picture.php?p=79
Other kaisers include
Tropheus sp. "Ikola", common name kaiser
Tropheus sp. black, Kiriza common name kaiser II

According to Spencer Jack, Tropheus sp. "Ikola" has been over collected and no more wild caught fish will be imported.

DragonGT83
01-01-2006, 07:36 PM
wow thats an interesting fact, i wonder if these unknown variants could relate to other rift lake cichlids.

tahancock
01-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Hey Jon,

I will be getting a group of 12 F1 Lamprologus Callipterus this week.

Rinko
01-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks for rubbing that in, Todd. :(

tanganyikanhunt
01-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks bobr,

but the fish I am talking about makes that look completely faded out. These were redder than fire engines when fired up. I think that the variation may have been overfished or the collectors just don't see the point in going somewhere else when there are fish in the usual spot.

There are so many species and variants in the lake that we don't know anything about that it boggles the mind thinking about it. And think about the fact that Tropheus sp. Bemba is still an unclassified fish after how many years in the hobby?

Nice thing about this hobby is we are always going to see new fish.

sully1000
01-04-2006, 01:38 AM
It's not that crazy. If it is, I have completely lost my marbles. I have a group of Kitumba fronts in growout right now. Most are at 2", and I paid 30 bones a pop for them when they were just over 1". If you have seen adult Kitumba, you will understand price. Next week I am aquiring a group of Moba fronts. Most of these are just over 2". Paid $35 apiece and consider that a great deal. My group of Ikola fronts range in size from 4-6" and these were bought at 1" a year and some ago. In my opinion, they are developing and looking just as sweet as the Zaire fronts, but I only paid $8 apiece.
Guess I kind of got off track of thread, but I think each of us would pay whatever(or almost) it takes to get what we find most appealing. Fronts are my addiction. I'm sure alot of others would label their fish interests as addictions also.
If I had choice of w/c tangs, I would probably choose a front variant I don't have.

saltydapleco
01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
wild petrochromis. I'd go for a couple adult groups, not sure which variety and then I would move to a ground floor place and get a 120 for them. Since I don't want to move this isn't happening. I'd take on more wild shellies though any day.

Hoosiercichlid
01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
I own and breed a Large Colony of Wild Mpimbwe Frontosa's.
I own 4-Wild Kitumba Frontosa's in which I will add some more to.

I would like to get the Moba Frontosa's from Lake Tanganyika.

I guess I love the "King Daddy" of Lake Tanganyika the Frontosa. :D

Hurriken
01-10-2006, 09:00 PM
It would be fair to say I'm a novice. Truthfully I have no idea what the difference is between a wild or tank bred fish. I know Fronts are expensive (my buddy has some) but other than those I wouldn't know a $500 fish from a 50 center!

But I will tell you what I like anyway! I like Altolamprologus compressiceps
http://www.isabi.de/altolamprologus_compressiceps_cape_chaitika.html

and Altolamprologus calvus http://www.g-hoener.de/images/14%20Afrika-Tanganjika/Altolamprologus_calvus_l.jpg

I read some about how they catch prey and search the crevices. I have never had any Africans though. All mine have been New Worlds.

DragonGT83
01-10-2006, 09:20 PM
http://www.isabi.de/altolamprologus_compressiceps_cape_chaitika.jpg
http://www.g-hoener.de/images/14%20Afrika-Tanganjika/Altolamprologus_calvus_l.jpg

this should work now

those are some nice fish. :shock:

Hurriken
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
thanks Dragon

Rinko
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
You have very good taste! :)

Hurriken
01-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Is it expensive taste?

Rinko
01-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Maybe if you only want wild-caught fish. They can run in price anywhere from $25-$75/fish depending on which variant, locale, & size.

Here are some of our Sponsors' "wild-caught" price lists just for comparison:

http://www.socalcichlids.com/8232/131851.html
http://www.bluechipaquatics.com/stocklist.html
http://www.tropicalcichlids.com/pricelist.asp

Tank-raised or farm-raised fish are very inexpensive compared to wild.

Fat B
01-18-2006, 07:01 PM
LOL!!!! If I had to pick any wild tang. cichlid I would pick... Frontosa!!! probably Kitumbas to be exact. I bet no one saw that coming. :D Mobas are excellent looking but I would have to go the Kitumba route.

If you pressed me to pick something other than Fronts, I would say:

1. Tricotti 2. Gold Head Comps

Stephen
03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
It would have to be more Fronts.Kitumba or moba

Steve

twig
03-07-2006, 11:32 PM
If I had to pick a wild caught fish that I would like to have then it would be Enantiopus Kilesa. I have seen them once in person and they blew my mind away. Too bad I didn't have the money at the time to buy them.

Ben

Rinko
12-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Still wishing for some Lamprologus Callipterus

Aquaaddict
12-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Ordering a group of the Enantopis Kilesa's this week. Can't wait...have been looking for over a year! :shock: :shock:

bobrfish
12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Those are gorgeous. Enjoy Tim.

fishboy
12-30-2006, 07:20 AM
It is really hard to choose between fish. Right now, i would say either a colony of Tropheus Brichardi namansi or Tropheus Brichardi M'tosi

Jojoyojimbi
12-30-2006, 07:51 AM
It is really hard to choose between fish. Right now, i would say either a colony of Tropheus Brichardi namansi or Tropheus Brichardi M'tosi

divide the tank and get half of each

storrisch
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I have a pair of WC Multies. They have adjusted to tank life very well and have spawned at least 6 times in the last 7 months.

redzebra24
06-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Atlantis was selling some wild Lamprologus Callipterus

coveredup
12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
mine would be a Tropheus forsure. You want something active that spawns like crazy and never a dull moment in the tank. Then you gotta love T's. I currently have a colony of 16 WC Golden Kazumba's and love them. I also have a colonly of 28 F1 Ikola's. If I had to choose my all time faverite Tang it would be. A nice wild colonly of Tropheus moorii (Kasakalawe). Very rare to see these around anywhere wild. I have seen some wilds (that you could trust them being wild) but its very few. I found a profile on them below.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1881

fasttalon94
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Thread from the dead.
I would say a wild caught pair of.....petricola.....

no no, How about some Sumbu Comps!!!!!
http://www.drpez.org/albums/Altolamprologus-compressiceps-fotos/aaj.jpg

bobrfish
03-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Rechecked my selection, 2.5 years later it remains Petrochromis sp. Texas

Currently on my third try with these fish. If they kill each other this time then may have to build a tank, a big tank.

bearfan
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
The biggest, baddest ones available. Emporer!