+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer vs killer

1. Default Killer vs killer

My 8" Trimac knocked down a divider and beat the #*^%# out of its brother -a Golden Trimac which is one of my favorite fish. rather than put up the divider again , I quickly moved the Trimac to the only tank that could possibly accomadate him for the time being. I put him in a 75g with some of his little brothers and sister who were under the reign of a "8 Nimbochromis F. The Nimbochromis has proven himself a rough customer and had even tried to fight my 13" syspilum. Actually i had to seperate them as the Nimbochromis was doing something akin to Stuka dive bombs on the hump head of the big sysns.

I went on treating the Golden for its wounds and did a water change while I was at it. I then went upstairs for a few minutes and even from my living room I could hear that something wasnt quite right in the fish room. I had forgotten about putting up a divider between the the Trimac and Nibochromis, I went back down and all hell had broken loose.

As we all know that have kept CA cichlids they prefer to fight straight up in a lip lock, their African cousins can fight this way but dont prefer it.
    So for all intents and purposes the Trimac is fighting with strict Queensbury boxing rules. The Nimbo tried it that way but then busted out some Praying Mantis Kung -Fu. There was clear confusion in the mind of the Trimac, being lip locked on the snout and over the mouth sideways -FOUL!!! In the end the Trimac was too strong and angry- as they always are- and the Nimbochromis retreated into a route.

Neither fish were hurt and I would not have allowed that(just heading off critcism).

Sorry about the pic quality, didnt have time to set up quality.....

Default Re: Killer vs killer

Quote Originally Posted by Redrooster
    So for all intents and purposes the Trimac is fighting with strict Queensbury boxing rules. The Nimbo tried it that way but then busted out some Praying Mantis Kung -Fu. There was clear confusion in the mind of the Trimac, being lip locked on the snout and over the mouth sideways -FOUL!!!
    :lol: :lol:

crazy shots, good to hear that no one was severly injuried. the way you described the fighting styles was good too, i think Rinko enjoyed it.
    Go Huskers!

When's round 2? :twisted: j/k good job catching them in the act.
    Do Fish!!!

Had both fish been of equal size, I'd have placed my bet on the fuscotaeniatus to smoke that new world cichlid! 8)
    There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

6. Default

Well they are the same length.

The Nimbochromis is without question the toughest African Ive ever kept, absolutley fearless. But to beat a member of the amophilous family (midas trimac etc..) youre going to have to kill it. These guys are tank busters. Breaking tank glass, a scourge to whimpy heaters and filtration systems etc... I dont think any African can match their ferocity or fighting ability.

This Nimbo sure will try though:)

DB

Fusco are on top of the list for being some of the meanest fish in lake malawi. Try and put a fish from the tyrannochromis family in there or a malawi gar( http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1127 ) :shock:
    or check this guy out :shock:

18 incher there.
    Do Fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonGT83
    The "Malawi Gar" eats insects and small fish .... not really threatening IMO.

FWIW, with respect to experiences with my fusco, they aren't the killers that they are made out to be.

Back on topic ---> these would kick some New World arse!

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

What are those Ron? he looks huge!!! :shock:
    Do Fish!!!

Boulengerochromis microlepis from Lake Tanganyika. :twisted:

11. Default

OMG! Thats a real monster!

Dragon what is that?

I want one. Are they readily available anywhere? Seriously thats an awesome fish.

Lets see big, nasty, beautiful ... yep thats a fish Id own.

Seriously though are they commercially available?

Derrick

12. Default

-"FWIW, with respect to experiences with my fusco, they aren't the killers that they are made out to be."

Mine used to live in a 125 gallon with a colony of frontosa, my understanding is that he was quite peaceful with them. I expect tank size and tank mates might bring out the worst in him.

Derrick

this one here?
    http://www.cichlid-forum.com/photoga...otaenia_01.jpg

Its a Buccochromis heterotoenia, they feed on small mbuna in the wild and in the aquarium
    :shock: lol well if you have them hybrids to get rid of, there you go. Not too much of these guys on the web, and I haven't seen them readily available on any stock lists either.
    Do Fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    lol i hope its not a mouth brooder :shock: :shock: maybe egg layer?
    Do Fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    lol i hope its not a mouth brooder :shock: :shock: maybe egg layer?
    Someone obviously hasn't seen "Jewel of the Rift" from National Geographic. :P

They are substrate spawners and put the beat down on a turtle in Jewel of the Rift that tries to get to (or get past) their nest site.

Boulengerochromis microlepis or the "Emporer cichlid" is the largest cichlid in the hobby if I am not mistaken. And, they are available in the hobby. If you go to the MFK website there is a guy selling a full grown one right now. :)
    Led

Political Correctness/PC- an excuse used to take away the Freedom of Speech

Bill Belicheat had a whopping win percentage of .450 with the Cleveland Browns and tons of high draft pics...with the NE Cheatriots he is at .7, the difference....CHEATING! He is still the same coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Led
    Boulengerochromis microlepis or the "Emporer cichlid" is the largest cichlid in the hobby if I am not mistaken. And, they are available in the hobby. If you go to the MFK website there is a guy selling a full grown one right now. :)
    To anyone who might consider getting this species:

Please keep in mind how large it gets and have a sufficient tank BEFORE you decide to purchase one!

Also, if you are going to go on the premise that you'll just keep it till it out grows your setup, please consider how few people own tanks suitible for keeping such a fish.

You're keeping one in the bathtub, aren't you Ron? :D
    Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinko
    You're keeping one in the bathtub, aren't you Ron? :D
    No, it's in the swimming pool. :wink:

:lol:

20. Default

Dragon , Yeah that one :twisted: . that bad boy is far out. Have to keep my eyes open for them.

Ron- Beating back a turtle say Attitude with the capital A. Kind of exemplifies what being a cichlid is all about :D

DB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast