+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Everything You Know About Pelvicachromis Rubrolabiatus

Default Tell Me Everything You Know About Pelvicachromis Rubrolabiatus

I have a pair of pelvicachromis rubrolabiatus and I need to know as much as I can about them. There isnt much info on line. Id like to know EVERYTHING. I want to breed them, I want to know how much $$$ they run for, What conditions they enjoy for breeding, Types of habbitat they like best. You know it about them I want to hear it.

better kept in planted softwater tank .give me pm tell you were to look for info.

In Nature they are found in forested waterways. They feed on detritus, aufwachs, algae, diatoms, shrimp eggs and insect larvae. They also take in sand and/or mud; whether this aids in digestion or not is unknown.
    When a female is ripe to spawn her belly turns bright red which is a sign to male to accept female and spawn. When spawning a pair bond forms and eggs will be depoisted in a cave or secret hidden location. The entrance to cave is preferred small to very small.
    Parents may care for offspring for two months.
    In Nature, Pelvicachromis breed in water of pH 7 or lower. Wild caught fish will not breed in water with a pH of greater than 7.

This species was first described and named in 2004. They are likely to be rare in the hobby.
    Last edited by bobrfish; 11-01-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    How does it feel? ... Like a Rolling Stone!

In their native habitat there is leaf litter unless humans have cut down all the trees. Pelvicachromis browse leaf litter looking for food and hiding in it.

Thank you very much for that info bobrfish, My female has decided to dig out all the substrate under a piece of driftwood in my tank as well as dig out a huge hole about 5 inches away under a group of rocks. The opening in both spots in only big enough for her to get into. The male isnt as aggressive as I have read they typically are but this could be because they are in a community tank. I will soon be putting them into their own 40 gallon breeder to see how they do as far as breeding goes. I would really love to get them to breed successfully. I use Compressed Co2/Ro Water giving me a PH of ~6.4 and is getting softer each week that I do a water change KH - 4Degress GH - 140 GH.

Would it be best to keep them alone in their 40 gallon or will there be to much aggression? There are lots of rocks and caves in the breeder and it will be low ph, Soft water as well. My main interest in the fish is breeding and would like to find out all the information I can about their breeding practice so that I can prepare everything before it happens.

Willing to bet that female has already laid eggs in her hidden spawning site. Description is characteristic of spawning behavior by female.
    When males aggression falls, it is because they have accepted female and are spawning.

40 gal tank is more than enough. 20 long would likely be enough if no other species are present.

Success and spreading fry throughout Midwest would be a fine accomplishment.

I have looked inside her caves and dont see any eggs but I cant see inside the driftwood very well. and she doesnt seem to be guarding the area all the much.

I have a 29 tall but I think that would be to small for them so I figured id just keep them alone in my 40 gallon. And would like to have a breeding group of Double Reds or just breed German Blue Rams in the 29gallon

good luck on these fish hope they breed for you.the pelvs are a very prolific fish.i have a pair of pelv taeniatus moliwe and kienke.the ph matters alot on sex ratio of the fry .look at this site www.tedsfishroom.com.check out the gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by bobrfish View Post
    Success and spreading fry throughout Midwest would be a fine accomplishment.
    Agreed!

I love Pelvs also. One of my favorite cichlids of all time. Awesome parents. I have a pair in a 75g with other fish and they just keep having and raising fry, have been for years. In a tank that big they even tolerate the fry that turned to juvies and are now quite big.
    Last edited by Afrabat; 11-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Conservation, conversation, cooperation!

Need help treating Ich? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php
    Need help treating Bloat? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...ic.php?t=24132

My vision is to benefit the hobby through quality of life, fellowship and an understanding of what is needed and what is offered in the world of cichlid husbandry.

They both have Ich so Im really hoping I can cure them of it not sure whats the best way however never had ich before. I am bringing them temp up to 87 and keeping it there for 2 weeks. Or should I put them in their 40gallon and treat them for ich with salt + heat? I just dont want to stress them out to much and have a problem and lose one. Im trying to figure out the best way to cure my tank of ich.

I'd leave them where they are at - turn up the heat and add salt. It would add more stress by trying to catch them to move them to a different tank -IMO

Can't add salt to my tank.

use malachite green found in products like Quick Cure.

I have Quick cure at the store Brian
    Follow Fish Freaks on Facebook

Fish Freaks

10711 Mockingbird Dr
    Omaha NE 68127

402-934-8588

everything I read says that meds only kill Ich when its free swimming and not when its in its other stages. I have some meds from API but havent used them because of my fear of killing all my plants.
    Last edited by CleverBs; 11-03-2011 at 10:56 AM.

I've used lots of meds with my anubis, java fern, and bolbitus plants and have never had any of them die

those are all rather hardy plants I have lots of plants and most of them arnt very hardy

One reason to crank up the heat is to speed up the life cycle. When you do that you don't have to use meds as long, 4-5 days should do it
    Tanks - 210, 125, 75, 40, 10
    Breeding - Fossorochromis Rostratus, N. Livingstonii, C. Moorii, Protelemas sp. "Spilonatus Tanzania"
    JCW

If adding salt and malachite green will not work then either remove fish to a hospital tank for treatment with salt and malachite green.
    OR
    Remove the fish a couple of times a day and use a formalin dip. When using formalin dip, watch fish very closely for signs of toxicity and immeadiately remove fish from dip and return fish to aquarium.

It is true that only ich in tomite stage is susceptible to death. Heat shortens the time needed for tomites to find a host. If they fail to find a host then they die.
    If they amount of spots on fish is increasing, that is bad news for the fish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast